Changing your name

If you were married in Australia a formal Change of Name is not required if you wish to take your spouse’s name. Usually  personal documentation, such as your driver’s licence and passport, can be changed to your married surname when you provide a Registered Marriage Certificate.

Click here to find out how to get your Registered Certificate of Marriage.

Once you have your registered Marriage Certificate you just need to inform the organisations you deal with. Such as your bank, utilities, passports office, services NSW etc.

The suggestion is to start with your driver’s license (photo ID) and then the other should be easier.

Most organisation will change your name for free, if you do it within 6 or 12 months, depending on the organisation.

There are companies that offer to assist you, such as,  Change Your Name 

If you decide to use Change Your Name use this unique code to get a discount: CYNLM5B2V