Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about getting married.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about getting married.

Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about getting married in Australia. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us, so one of our experienced marriage celebrants can help you.

A. Prior to  your ceremony

Can I get married in Australia?

Anyone from any country around the world can get married in Australia. It makes no difference if you are a resident or citizen of Australia or just visiting for the day.

The only criteria you need to fulfil is;

  • you must be 18 years old. In some cases, if one of the parties is 17, it may be possible - talk to your celebrant about this.
  • not already legally married in Australia or any other country around the world.
  • the couple are not in a 'Prohibited Relationship". This generally refers to a close family relationship.
  • both parties are freely choosing to get married.

Quick TestIn 30 seconds find out if and what you need to get married


What are the steps to getting married in Australia?

Getting married, through Simple Ceremonies, is the simplest way to get married in Australia. There are just 3 steps.

Step 1 - Make your Booking

Step 2 - Complete NoIM

Step 3 - Love Your Ceremony

... and that's it.


What is the Notice of Intended Marriage form or NoIM?

The NoIM is a form that is required to be completed, signed, witnessed and provided to your marriage celebrant, at least one calendar month prior to your ceremony date. 

This form can be completed on-line here, once you have made your booking. 


Who needs to sign and witness your NoIM?

Each party to the marriage needs to sign the NoIM. However, if both parties cannot  conveniently have their signature witnessed by the Authorised Person, at this stage (Example. one party is outside of Australia or interstate)  - one party will suffice. Then on the day of your ceremony the other party will sign and have their signature witnessed by their marriage celebrant. The NoIM needs to be signed, witnessed and given to the marriage celebrant at least one calendar month prior to the ceremony date.


How much notice do you need to give to get married?

By law in Australia, everyone getting married needs to give at least ONE CALENDAR MONTH notice. This must be done by providing your marriage celebrant with a completed, signed and witnessed NoIM.

Can the notice period be shortened?

Depending on your situation you can shorten the notice period (normally, one calendar month) if you meet certain criteria covered by Schedule 3 of the Marriage Regulations.


I have booked to get married at the Marriage Registry Office (BDM) but now want to get married with Simple Ceremonies.

This is not a problem at all - we would love to marry you in a beautiful location.

When are you planning on getting marrried?

MORE than one calendar month from today?

If your ceremony date is more than one calendar month from today, even if you have already lodged your NoIM with BDM, it is simplier and cheaper just to start from scratch. Just click here and make your booking and then you will be directed to complete your NoIM online, with us.

LESS than one calendar month from today?

If your ceremony date is less than one calendar month from today - we can still help you out.

The process is as follows:

a) Conact us and will will provide you with a link to book your desired date.

b) Once you have booked we can then prepare a letter for your to give to BDM - requesting that they transfer your NoIM to us.

c) You will then just need to email BDM at this address -

Inform them that you would like to change your arrangements and request that they transfer the NoIM to us and attach the letter we have provided to you. Please provide them with any details you have of your existing booking.

d) They will then arrange to charge you the transfer fee (they charge $110) . Once this has been paid they will contact us direct to let us know that the NoIM has been transferred.

This needs to be done before we can marry you.

Details to get a "Shortening of Time"Click here for more details or watch the videos below

What ID will I need to provide?

You will need to provide: a passport (from any country) or an original Birth Certificate AND a government-issued Photo ID (for example a Drivers License or Proof of Age card). In extreme circumstances where birth certificates can not be issued by a State (for example the State is war-torn) the use of a Statutory Declaration and Photo ID may be considered. Download Stat Dec. 

I don't have a passport or a birth certificate.

In extreme circumstances where birth certificates can not be issued by a State/ Country (for example the State is war-torn) the use of a Statutory Declaration and Photo ID may be considered. The person completing the Statutory Declaration must go to exhaustive lengths to attempt to gether their birth certificate. Once these have failed, you can then complete a the Stat Dec. In particular, a details explaination of why you don't have your birth certificate and what lengths yopu have gone to get it. Click here to Download Stat Dec. for you to use.

I have previously been married, how do I get my divorce papers?

Divorce papers are issued by the court - either the Federal or Family Court. For more information click on this link

Is pre-marriage counselling compulsory?

The short answer is No.

The Commonwealth Government of Australia recommends all couples receive pre-marriage counselling. However, it is not compulsory, but it is recommended.
Please feel free to talk to us about service providers or check out the list below

Couples Counselling

The Heart Centre

Affinity Counselling

Equilibrium Psychology


B. About your ceremony


Before your ceremony ensure you have everything in order to ensure your day will be perfect. Click on this link to see our Checklist, to help.

Do I need an Interpreter?

If you or your partner do not confidently speak and understand English you will need an Interpreter for the ceremony. The interpreter can be anyone (over 18 years old) who is fluent in your language and English. They will need to sign a Statutory Declaration confirming their ability and also accuracy of their translation. They will need to complete the Statutory Declaration - Click here to complete - then print off and bring with you to the ceremony.

How will your wedding day flow?

To see how your wedding day will flow, click on this link

To see a copy of a Sample Marriage Ceremony, click here

C. After you are married

What do I have to do after my ceremony?


Immediately following your ceremony you will sign your Certificate of Marriage (issued by the Commonwealth Government) and a copy will be provided for you to keep.

The same day as your ceremony, your marriage celebrant will register your marriage with Births, Deaths and Marriages (the government body responsible for recording such details).

If you require the Registered Certificate of Marriage (not all couples will) see below "How do I get my Registered Certificate of Marriage". This will also explain the difference between the certificates.

How do I get my Registered Certificate of Marriage?

If you require a Registered Certificate of Marriage, please click on this link

How do I Change my Name after marriage?

If you would like to change your name, after you are married, click on this link to see how best to go about this.

How to correct details on the Marriage Certificate?

We go to every effort to ensure your details are recorded correctly prior to your ceremony (requesting your ID and also asking for you to double/ triple/ quadruple  check all details - prior to your ceremony and also on the day of your ceremony.

Prior to your ceremony we are able to make corrections for you, however, once your marriage has been registered, it is then your responsibility.

You will need to contact Births, Deaths and Marriages to make these changes. Click here for more information

D. Other FAQs

Check out our Terms

With the aim of ensuring everyone is left smiling and your ceremony is perfect please read our Terms by clicking on the link

Can I make a booking over the phone?

You can, however there is an additional fee of $50. Simple Ceremonies has been designed to keep things simple and the costs low. To achieve this, we have set up the on-line booking system (showing available dates and times). You just need to go to Step 1 - Make a booking; select your location, date and time.

Does payment need to be made at time of booking?

Yes. Full payment needs to be made at the time of your booking. This is done online by credit card. This payment is non refundable, however you can change your ceremony date, once you have made your booking, as long as you give more than one calendar month & two day's notice.

How do I make additional payments?

You may want to make additional payments in relation to; re-scheduling you ceremony, increasing the number of guests or arranging witnesses. Just click here -

Marriage Celebrants - Code of Conduct & Complaints

All celebrants should operate in accordance with a Code of Conduct as issued by the Australian Attorney General. To see the code click on this link. If you would like to make a complaint about the service you have received please contact Simple Ceremonies on  (02) 80033919 or send an email to We will endeavour to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible.

How to make a Complaint

If you feel your concerns have not been answered by contacting Simple Ceremonies,  you can make a formal complaint by clicking on the link.

How do we protect your details 

To start with, we regularly purge your details following your ceremony 😉

But our main course of protection is ... to get experts to do. Organisations that have full cyber security accreditation.

Check out our data host Logiforms