What qualification do Marriage Celebrants have to have and how do you confirm they are registered?


Marriage celebrants are people who are legally allowed to perform marriages in Australia.

Being a marriage celebrant is a special and important role in the community. It also attracts serious legal responsibilities. Failure to meet those responsibilities can have serious consequences.

There are a number of steps involved in becoming a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant.

You will need to:

successfully complete a Certificate IV in Celebrancy qualification that includes the four marriage celebrancy units through a registered training organisation or an equivalent university qualification
set requirements for training organisations delivering the four marriage celebrancy units apply. You may not meet the qualification requirement for registration if the set requirements for the four marriage celebrancy units are not met by the training organisation delivering the qualification.
Requirement for training organistations [DOC 80KB] Requirement for training organistations [PDF 133KB] submit an application to this department. Email us at marriagecelebrantssection@ag.gov.au for the application pack
successfully answer a series of legal questions about marriage law and process
be assessed as being a fit and proper person by the Registrar of Marriage Celebrants
You may only advertise your services and perform marriages once you are registered as a marriage celebrant.

Different criteria for registration as a marriage celebrant apply to people who are fluent in an Australian Indigenous language. Email us at marriagecelebrantssection@ag.gov.au for more information.

There is a list of all registered Marriage Celebrant help by the Attorney Generals Department.

To confirm your celebrant is authorised click here to search for your celebrant’s name